After graduating from Trinity College, Dublin, Mark qualified as a Chartered Quantity Surveyor in 1989. He joined Davis Langdon as an Assistant Surveyor in 1987, becoming an Associate in 1990 and then a Partner in 1992. Until he set up MHA in 2009, Mark was Managing Partner of Davis Langdon’s Legal Support Group.
- 2009 – to date – Senior Partner, MHA
- 1992 – 2008 – Partner Davis Langdon
- 1990 – 1992 – Associate, Davis Langdon
- 1988 – 1990 – Senior Project Surveyor, Davis Langdon
- 1987 – 1988 – Assistant Surveyor, Davis Langdon
- 1983 – 1987 – Assistant Surveyor, Hackett & O’Byrne.
- Diploma in Construction Economics (College of Technology, Dublin)
- BSc(Hons) in Quantity Surveying, later superseded by the award of MA (Trinity College, Dublin)
- MSc in Construction Law & Arbitration (King’s College, London)
- Fellow of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors
- Associate of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Member of the Society of Construction Law
- Member of the RICS’s Construction Contracts Group
- Law Society “Checked” Expert Witness and accredited Single Joint Expert
- Member of the Construction Industry Council’s Liability Task Force
- Member of ad hoc drafting groups assembled by the Construction Industry Council and the Joint Contracts Tribunal
- Appointments as Expert Witness on several high profile cases both at home and abroad.
- Major contracts study for The Scottish Office which included a comparative analysis of the JCT, Government and NEC forms of contract. Major study of contract insurance and risk assessment for the same client
- Report and Audit work, e.g. independent adviser to the Guy’s and St. Thomas’ Hospital Trust concerning a major hospital redevelopment and reporting to HM Treasury, NHS Estates, NHS Executive and the National Audit Office
- General Advice on the procurement of construction projects and audit of “distressed” projects.
- Providing assistance to various parties, including Employers and Contractors in respect of delay and quantum assessment. Work has involved investigating and demonstrating the cause, extent and cost consequences of delay and disruption and varied work, including advising architects on extension of time matters.
- Report and audit work – providing assistance in the preparation of financial audits and reports on tendering procedures, cost escalation to projects and final accounts for a range of client bodies, including financial institutions, power providers, commercial developers, leisure facility operators, hospitals, universities and private residences.
- Assessment of contractors’ claims for extensions of time and disputes arising under the Contract. Work has involved investigating and reporting to client bodies on the cause and extent of delay and disruption; negotiation and settlement of claims.
- Primary Schools, Galway and Mayo
- Secondary School, Dublin
- Radiological waste reduction project, Cardiff
- Decommissioning of holding tanks for radioactive effluent
- Containment structure for radioactive chamber
- Containment buildings for storage of radioactive waste
- Scanner facility for Hammersmith Hospital
- Modifications and fit-out works to 50,000 sq. m. hospital facility
- Multi-deck car park (500 spaces) for Amersham plc
- Hi-tech laboratory facility, Amersham
- Hi-tech laboratory facility, Cardiff
- Upgrade and refurbishment of numerous laboratories and clean rooms
- Garda District Headquarters, Galway
- Garda District Headquarters, Mayo
Office and Retail:
- Corporate office HQ of 4,800m2 for GE Healthcare
- John Lewis Department Store, High Wycombe
- Office development of 17,000m2 for Land Securities
- Fitting-out 17,000m2 office for KPMG
- Fitting-out and refurbishment of various offices for KPMG
- Fitting-out of 10,000m2 of office space at Canary Wharf
- Refurbishment of administration centre for Amersham plc
- Fitting-out of new Headquarters building for the NHS Executive, Anglia & Oxford Regional Office
- Refurbishment and fit-out of Head Office for Amersham plc and other administration buildings
- Refurbishment of the Mansion House for the Lord Mayor of the City of London
Sport and Leisure:
- Recreational Facility, Dublin
- Gymnasium and sports centre, Sligo
Publicatons and Lectures:
- Co-author with Geoffrey Trickey of The Presentation and Settlement of Contractors’ Claims (Second Edition) published by E & F N Spon
- Co-editor with Ian Robinson of the Aqua Group’s Pre-Contract Practice and Contract Administration, published by Blackwells
- Co-editor with Ian Robinson and Gary Statham of the Aqua Group’s Procurement, Tendering & Contact Administration, published by Blackwells
- Co-author of Practical Construction Guides – Construction Law and Management, published by Informa
- Regular contributor to the Law Channel of The Einstein Network
- Regular speaker at the Construction Law Summer School
- Occasional speaker at the IBC’s Construction Law Masterclass
- A printable copy of this CV can be downloaded here.